Cast iron cookware is strong and reliable. It has a good reputation for its durability. But when you are going to use it on a glass top stove, it would be a great concern as cast iron may cause a scratch on it. Glass top stoves have a shiny and appealing look. No one wants it to get scratched by any cookware. So, today we are going to tell you how to protect glass top stove from cast iron. Just pay attention to what you read.
How To Protect Glass Top Stove From Cast Iron
Here are the things you can follow to use your cast iron on a glass top stove without causing any damage.
Washing Cast Iron Before Heating
Some people may wash their cast iron cookware only after using it. It is also necessary to wash it up again before you start cooking next time.
Cast iron tends to grab more oils and food residues on its surface. If you do not clean it properly, these things can start to carbonize when you heat it. As a result, they can leave some black spots on your glass top stove. So, every time you use cast iron cookware on the glass top stove, do not forget to it before heating it.
Heating the Cast Iron Cookware for A Longer Time
You may have heard the term called the even heat distribution. It indicates the proper heating throughout the surface of the cookware while you are cooking. When you use glass top stove and cast iron cookware together, you need to keep a thing in your mind. Electric glass cooktops need more time to get warmed up than other cooktops. It results in a slow warm-up of cast iron cookware.
It needs a longer time to ensure even heat distribution on the cast iron cookware surface. We would recommend you to start heating the cast iron at low temperature. Then slowly increase the temperature at a medium level. After a while, bring the heat up at a high temperature. It would help you get the desired result.
Never Slide the Cast Iron Cookware on the Glass Top Stove
Cast iron cookware is heavy. It is heavier when it has full of foods. It would help if you were careful while using cast iron cookware on the glass top stove. Do not slide the pans on the stove. If you do, there is a big chance to scratch the stove. Instead of sliding, lift the cookware when you need to move it from the glass top stove.
Preventing Damage by Using a Heat Diffuser
You can prevent damage to your glass top stove by using a heat diffuser. It is a little tool placed on the stove that can diffuse the heat from the stove and spread it out over the bottom of your pan. It helps to protect your glass top stove from having any damages by the heavy cast iron cookware. The heat diffusers are available at your near kitchen or hardware stores. It is cheap in cost.
How to Prevent Scratches on the Glass Top Stove
So, now you know how to protect glass top stove from cast iron. Here is another relevant thing. Glass top stove tends to have scratches easily. Here are some tips to avoid this problem on the glass top stove.
- Give up the habit of sliding any cookware on the glass top stove. It makes scratches on the stove. Just lift the pan when you need to move it.
- It would be best if you cleaned your cookware after and before using it. If anything sticks into the bottom of the cookware, it will cause a spot on the stove when it becomes warm.
- Stoneware and ceramic cookware are likely to make scratches on the glass top stove surface. It would help if you were careful when you are going to use these kinds of cookware.
- Never place the pans on the glass top stove just after pulling it out from the oven. It should be cooling down first to avoid getting spots on the stoves. You can place a wire cooling rack on the glass top stove for a quick solution.
- Round bottom pans have higher chances to cause a scratch on the glass top stove. So, use flat bottom pans instead of round bottom pans.
- Do not place anything on the glass top stove other than the cookware. They may cause spots on the glass top stove surface.
So, this is all about how to protect the glass top stove from cast iron. If you follow these tips, you will not face any problems using cast iron cookware on a glass top stove. We know, all the instructions mentioned above are tough to practice. You must be careful as much you can to prevent any damages. If you have alternative cookware to use, it is better to avoid using cast iron cookware on your glass top stove. Choose the best cookware for glass top stoves to ensure the safety of your stoves.